Teacher Links: ESL
Spell Up is a new voice-powered, web-based game that can help improve your English and spelling. Using a combination of different web technologies, the Chrome browser will understand what you say and use it to control the game action. With no plug-ins (uses HTML5), this uses text to speech and web speech technologies as well as visual technologies to bring an appealing gamified learning experience to users.
Great for improving spelling and English language skills, and could be a wonderful tool for ELL classrooms.
A few notes:
- Must be used in the Chrome Browser.
- The orange dot indicates that it is waiting on a verbal response from you.
- I had to kind of drag out my pronunciation of the letters at first.
- Make sure speakers are turned up…that is important.
- Once I got past the intro words, there was a place to choose from beginner, intermediate or advanced. Once you click on a level, it gives examples of words in that level, in case you need to change to a different level.
- Once past the intro, there were also options in the bottom right to hear the definition, show a keyboard and have the letter you click on pronounced, have it translated into a different language, and restate the question or task.
- As the students spell, pronounce, add missing letters, and guess the words (I used the definition button a lot on the these), the student is adding to their tower. They are also accumulating points/coins to use for other options.
- There is an option to sign in, if the student wants to save their progress and points, but it does require a google account. Sign in isn’t necessary to play.
It is fun to look at and watch the animation as it goes through the different processes. I think your students might enjoy this one!
- Duolingo is a free service that aims to help you learn Spanish, French, German, or Portuguese. Duolingo offers mobile apps that allow you to practice a new language anywhere you go. The Duolingo mobile apps and website provide a variety of translation activities to help learn to you read, listen to, and translate words and phrases. The activities include looking at pictures that are representative of words and phrases. After reviewing a couple of pictures students are asked to type translations. The app gives immediate feedback to students.Lingualy is a free Google Chrome extension designed to help you learn a new language while browsing the web. With Lingualy installed anytime that you come across a new word you can double-click on it to hear it pronounced, read a translation, and read a definition. The words that you double-click are added to your Lingualy account where you can review them in a quiz format.Forvo can best be described as an audio wiki for word pronunciations. One of the problems with learning to speak a language that is not phonetic is trying to figure out how to pronounce the words. Forvo hosts hundreds of recordings of word pronunciations by native speakers. Along with word pronunciations, Forvo provides some basic demographic information about each language. Forvo's content is user-supported and user-generated. New pronunciations are added on a regular basis.http://www.forvo.com/
Speaking Practice Online for English Learnershttp://esl.about.com/od/speakingenglish/a/s_practicelist.htm
This resource includes practice speaking dialogues. Each dialogue includes a number of questions and appropriate pauses between each question giving you time to answer. The purpose of these exercises is to help students practice speaking English through the internet. Each dialogue includes questions in a number of tenses, so listen carefully to the tense and answer using an appropriate sentence.
Each 'conversation' is repeated twice to give you more opportunity to practice. If you'd like to read the questions that occur during the dialogue click on the 'dialogue text' link. Click on the 'listen to dialogue' to begin practicing.Getting to Know You - Beginning / Lower Intermediate Level Speaking PracticeListen to Dialogue: http://esl.about.com/library/media/audio/bconverse.mp3Dialogue Text: http://esl.about.com/od/speakingenglish/a/stb_conv.htmCatching Up - Intermediate to Advanced Level Speaking PracticeListen to Dialogue: http://esl.about.com/library/media/audio/aconverse.mp3Dialogue Text: http://esl.about.com/od/speakingenglish/a/sta_conv.htmRecommended Apps:English Monstruo
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/english-monstruo/id504515550?mt=8(iPad and Android versions available) containing eight games designed to help students learn verb conjugation. English Monstruo was developed by researchers at Cambridge University who examined the results of 200,000 exams to determine the words that give Spanish speakers the most difficulty when taking an English exam. The games in the English Monstruo app contain activities ranging from fill-in-the-blank to sorting words to replacing incorrect words with correct words. Each game has a series of levels to work through to earn points and unlock increasingly more difficult levels. To access all eight games a player needs to first earn the maximum points in the first six games in the app.
FREEBerlitz® English - Effective and interactive solution to learn and quickly improve your language skills
- For all levels of students featuring various questions, answers, phrases, and history and geography lessons in order to strengthen English language skills.$2.99Sentence Builder
- It is the best app for students of elementary school who want to tackle grammar and vocabulary challenges efficiently. This amazing app features connector words that allow students to build grammatically correct sentences based on pictures and videos.
Kidioms is an app designed for students who face trouble with finding the meaning of common phrases and idioms. The app features a digital notebook in which you will be introduced to an idiom. You will then be given an example with a graphic. In order to reinforce the concepts, this app even includes games for practice. It’s a perfect app which meets the needs of every ESL student, and helps them acquire vital knowledge.
This language-learning app features more than 3,000 words and expressions and covers a wide range of topics through comprehensive vocabulary sections and interactive tests. Levels include beginner to advanced, and it is available for download on iPhone and Android (20 units are free and remaining content is available upon purchase).FREESpeakingPal English Tutor
A very entertaining and highly-interactive app, it features a series of mini-lessons of approximately 5 minutes, so students have no excuses when it comes to making the most of idle time. The student interacts with the app through speech recognition software that recreates a real video call. It’s available for download on iPhone or Android for free.
FREEVoxy - Learn EnglishThis is a tremendously popular app, particularly in the Spanish-speaking market. It features news and stories on a variety of topics, and provides games for language practice, plus short quizzes to test comprehension. It can be downloaded for free on iPhone and Android.FREEIntro to Letters
Wordbook XL is an English dictionary and thesaurus for iPad. It is a fairly resourceful app that contains audio, synonyms, etymologies, bookmarking, anagrams and reference-saving for the ease of students.